WHAT: 120thAnniversary Celebration of Penngrove Community Church
WHEN: SUNDAY, AUGUST 19, 2018
10:30 am – outdoor church service followed by
12:30 – 3:30 pm – Free BBQ served – RSVP required for BBQ
WHERE: Penngrove Park, 11800 Main Street, Penngrove CA 94951
WHY: Celebrating the 120thanniversary of the church.
Founded by community members in 1897 when the Thompson Brothers came to Penngrove to hold revival meetings in a tent.
COST: Free. Donations to the maintenance fund will be appreciated.
RSVP: BBQ reservations are required by Aug. 15.
CONTACT: Call (707) 795-5919 or email email@example.com name and number in your party. Or reserve online atwww.brownpapertickets.comand search for Penngrove Community Church
Penngrove Community Church celebrates its 120 anniversary with an open air service at 10:30 am followed by a free BBQ at 12:30 pm on Sunday, August 19 in Penngrove Park, 11800 Main St., in Penngrove.
The event harkens back to the origins of the church in 1897 when the Thompson Brothers came to Penngrove to hold revival meetings in a tent. Imagine the outdoor gathering, more than 120 years ago. The church was built in 1898 and is in need of new paint and structural support. Donations for building maintenance will be accepted at this event.
All are welcome to experience the open air service at this special anniversary celebration, conducted by Pastor Roger Hoffman.
Penngrove Community Church is an independent non-denominational church serving the communities of Penngrove, Cotati, Rohnert Park, and Petaluma.
The service and BBQ are free. Donations will be appreciated.
Reservations for the BBQ are required by August 15.
To RSVP Please call (707) 795-5919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your name and number of guests in party.
Or reserve at www.brownpapertickets.comand search “Penngrove Community Church”.
In 1897 the Thompson Brothers came to Penngrove to hold revival meetings. The meetings were held in a tent. After the revival the church meetings were held in the Eagle School building at the corner of Adobe and Santa Rosa Hill Road (now Petaluma Hill Road). In a short time a church was built ½ mile from the town at the corner of Formschlag Lane and Santa Rosa Hill Road. The lot was bought from Mr. and Mrs. James F. Elphick for $50. Hubert G. Comstock bought the land for the church. Another accounts says Mr. Elphick donated the land. Mrs. Hester C. Elphick was a great worker in the church. She was Ladies Aid President for 25 years.
In 1910 church attendance was down so it was decided to bring the church to the people. The church was placed on rollers and teams of horses pulled it to its present site on Oak Street. In 1923 the Ladies Aid bought the house next to the church from Miss Anna Anderson for $1,500. It served as home for the pastors of the church until 1972 when a new parsonage was built a short distance south of the church on property bought from Ruth C. Anderson. In March 1973 the old parsonage was removed to make space for a much needed parking lot for the growing congregation of the church.
In 1937 the church changed its denominational affiliation from the Methodist Episcopal to Congregational Church and its name changed to Penngrove Community Church. Following the merger of the nation bodies of the Congregational Church with the Evangelical and Reformed Church in the 1950’s, the church’s denominational affiliation became the United Church of Christ. After 9 years of litigation in the 1970’s and 1980’s, Penngrove Community Church became an independent community church and remains so today.
Ground breaking for the new sanctuary and Sunday School rooms was held on May 21, 1955. The original Building Committee was Albert Brians, Merrill Brians, William Toaves, William Wegener, Kenneth Wher, William Potts, and Clifford Knott. Ronald Hargis was minister at the time. In 1992 members of the church built on an addition to the new sanctuary expanding the interior of the church as well as providing a large room downstairs.
The cornerstone was laid on June 23,1957. It bears the inscription: Penngrove Church 1898, 1910, 1957. Dedicated to serving the community in Christian service.
Today’s Penngrove Community Church is located at 9970 Oak St., Penngrove. Pastor Roger Hoffman will conduct the outdoor service August 19, 2018.